Risk Factors and Important Legal Information
What are the main risks?
Key considerations related to the Index
- The Index is rules-based and cannot be invested in directly.
- There is no assurance that the strategy on which the Index is based will be successful in producing positive returns. The Index may not rise in value and may not outperform any alternative portfolio or strategy that tracks the Index components.
- The Index utilizes components that reference futures contracts. The Index may underperform a similar investment linked to the spot prices or current levels of the underlying assets tracked by the futures contracts included in the Index components.
- The number of stocks held across the ETFs can fluctuate through time, and the potential overlap in holdings across the ETFs could mitigate diversification.
- The Index has a limited operating history and may perform in unanticipated ways. Past performance is no indication or guarantee of future performance. No actual investment which allowed tracking of the performance of the Index was possible before January 14, 2021. The return results provided herein are illustrative only and were derived by means of a retroactive application of a back-casted model designed with the benefit of hindsight. These back-casted, hypothetical, historical annualized Index returns have inherent limitations. No representation is made that the Index will have such returns in the future. Alternative modeling techniques or assumptions might produce significantly different results and may prove to be more appropriate. Actual annualized returns may vary materially from this analysis.
- The risk signals provided by Salt Financial were derived by means of a retroactive application of a back-casted model designed with the benefit of hindsight. These signals have inherent limitations. Alternative modeling techniques or assumptions might produce significantly different results and may prove to be more appropriate.
- The Index involves risks associated with equity markets and fixed income investments.
- The Credit Suisse Tech Edge Index is calculated based on signals involving intraday data powered by the truVol(R) Risk Control Engine. The truVol(R) Risk Control Engine is owned and operated by Salt Financial, which is not affiliated with Credit Suisse. Any loss of Credit Suisse's ability to use the signals based on intraday data in calculating the Credit Suisse Tech Edge Index, whether on a temporary or permanent basis, could adversely affect the performance of the Index.
- The Index is an excess return index (it reflects the return of the Index components net of the cost of funding a hypothetical investment in them) and has a 0.5% p.a. index calculation fee deducted on a daily basis.
- Although the Index employs a mechanism designed to limit its volatility, no assurance can be given that it will achieve its volatility target. The actual realized volatility may differ from the Index's volatility target, which could negatively impact the performance of the Index, and the volatility-limiting mechanism may reduce the performance of the Index in rising markets.
- The Index may have greater than 100% exposure (up to 125%) to the multi-asset allocation at any time as a result of the Volatility Control Mechanism, which may exacerbate losses and subsequent deleveraging may increase the time taken to recover from a drawdown event.
- Credit Suisse is the Index's Sponsor and it (or affiliates) plays a variety of roles in connection to the Index, including acting as calculation agent and overseeing the rulebook that governs the operations of the Index. In addition, Credit Suisse would be expected to hedge any financial instruments and obligations linked to the Index. In such circumstances the economic interests of Credit Suisse and its affiliates are potentially adverse to the interests of a purchaser of any such instrument or obligation linked to the Index.
- Risk associated with the cessation and replacement of certain specified rates referenced in the Index: Until January 3, 2022, the 3-month USD LIBOR rate was used in the construction of the Index. Following January 3, 2022, and in the context of LIBOR being decommissioned, the 3-month USD LIBOR rate was replaced with the Secured Overnight Financing Rate (SOFR), which is published by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, as administrator of SOFR, based on data received from other sources. As used in the construction of the Index, SOFR is complemented by a spread that will progress from 0.10% to 0.26% through June 30, 2023. Following July 3, 2023, SOFR will be complemented by a spread of 0.26%. SOFR is a relatively new market index, and the market continues to develop in relation to SOFR as a reference rate. Any failure of SOFR to gain market acceptance could adversely affect the level of the Index. The composition and characteristics of SOFR are not the same as those of the 3-month USD LIBOR rate and there is no guarantee that it is a comparable substitute for the 3-month USD LIBOR rate. Should SOFR be discontinued, the Index Sponsor may in the future, in good faith, amend the Index Rules, potentially including the substitution of a replacement rate, as determined by the Index Sponsor.
- Risks pertaining to the ETFs: - Funds investing in a single sector may be subject to more volatility than funds investing in a diverse group of sectors. - The funds may invest in small capitalization and mid-capitalization companies. Such companies may experience greater price volatility than larger, more established companies. - ETFs trade like stocks, and are subject to investment risk, fluctuate in market value and may trade at prices above or below the ETFs net asset value. ETF expenses will reduce returns. - There can be no assurance that the funds' investment objectives will be achieved. - Information technology companies are subject to certain risks, including rapidly changing technologies, short product life cycles, fierce competition, aggressive pricing and reduced profit margins, loss of patent, copyright and trademark protections, cyclical market patterns, evolving industry standards and frequent new product introductions. Certain companies may be smaller and less experienced companies, with limited product lines, markets or financial resources. Information technology company stocks, especially those which are Internet related, have experienced extreme price and volume fluctuations that are often unrelated to their operating performance. - Passively managed funds hold a range of securities that, in the aggregate, approximates the full Index they track in terms of key risk factors and other characteristics. This may cause the fund to experience tracking errors relative to performance of the index it tracks.
Attributions and Disclaimers with Respect to Credit Suisse
The "Credit Suisse Tech Edge Index", "Credit Suisse", and any trademarks, service marks and logos related thereto are service marks of Credit Suisse Group AG, Credit Suisse International, or one of their affiliates (collectively, "Credit Suisse"). Credit Suisse has no role in the issuance of any insurance product, other than certain hedging arrangements and the licensing of the Credit Suisse Tech Edge Index ("the Index") and its service marks for use in connection with insurance products and is not a party to any transaction contemplated hereby.
The rules of the Index may be amended by Credit Suisse International (the "Index Creator"). An amendment to the rules may result from, without limitation, a change to the construction or calculation rules for the Index or from the Index Creator determining that a change to the rules is required or desirable in order to update them or to address an error, omission or ambiguity. No assurance can be given that any such amendment would not affect parties to this document.
The Index is an excess return index, which means that it reflects the return of the Index components net of the cost of funding a hypothetical investment in them. The Index returns are likely to be negatively affected by such costs of funding. The Index has a 0.5% per annum index calculation fee deducted on a daily basis. The Index fee will negatively affect the performance of the Index, offsetting any appreciation of its value, exacerbating any depreciation of its value and causing the level of the Index to decline steadily if its value remains relatively constant.
While volatility controls may result in less fluctuation in rates of return as compared to indices without volatility controls, they may also reduce the overall rate of return as compared to products not subject to volatility controls.
The end-of-day value of the Index is published subject to the provisions in the rules of the Index. Neither the Index Creator nor any of its affiliates is obliged to publish any information regarding the Index other than as stipulated in the rules of the Index.
No actual investment which allowed tracking of the performance of the Index was possible before January 14, 2021. The return results provided herein are illustrative only and were derived by means of a retroactive application of a back-casted model designed with the benefit of hindsight. These back casted, hypothetical, historical annualized Index returns have inherent limitations. No representation is made that in the future the Index will have the returns shown. Alternative modelling techniques or assumptions might produce significantly different results and may prove to be more appropriate. Actual annualized returns may vary materially from this analysis. Any effective volatility controls may reduce the overall rate of return.
No insurance product linked to the Index is in any way sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by Credit Suisse and Credit Suisse does not make any warranty or representation whatsoever, expressly or impliedly, either as to the results to be obtained from the use of the Index, the figure at which the Index stands at any particular time on any particular day or otherwise, or the advisability of or results to be obtained by using, investing in, or trading insurance products linked to the Index. The selection of the Index as a crediting option under an insurance product does not obligate the issuer of any such insurance product or Credit Suisse to invest annuity or premium payments in the components of the Index or in other products linked to the Index. Credit Suisse shall not be liable for the results obtained by using, investing in, or trading insurance products. The Index is compiled, maintained and calculated by Credit Suisse. However, Credit Suisse shall not be liable (whether in negligence or otherwise) to any person for any error in the Index and Credit Suisse shall not be under any obligation to advise any person of any error therein.
Prior to purchasing any insurance product linked to (or based on) the Index, retail clients should refer to the corresponding consumer product brochure for more information about additional risks involved when the Index is used within an insurance product.
Obligations to make payments under insurance products linked to the Index are solely the obligation of the issuer of any such insurance product and are not the responsibility of Credit Suisse.
The Index is the exclusive property of and currently sponsored by the Index Creator. Any insurance products linked to the Index are not in any way sponsored, endorsed or promoted by Credit Suisse. Credit Suisse has no obligation to take the needs of any person into consideration in composing, determining or calculating the Index (or causing the Index to be calculated). In addition, Credit Suisse makes no warranty or representation whatsoever, express or implied, as to the results to be obtained from the use of the Index and/or the level at which the Index stands at any particular time on any particular day or otherwise, and Credit Suisse shall not be liable, whether in negligence or otherwise, to any person for any errors or omissions in the Index or in the calculation of the Index or under any obligation to advise any person of any errors or omissions therein. Credit Suisse shall not be liable for the results obtained by using, investing in, or trading in any insurance products linked to the Index.
This material has been prepared by Credit Suisse and not by the Credit Suisse research department. It is not investment research or a research recommendation, as it does not constitute substantive research or analysis. It is provided for informational purposes, is intended for your use only and does not constitute an invitation or offer to subscribe for or purchase any of the products or services mentioned. The information provided is not intended to provide a sufficient basis on which to make an investment decision. It is intended only to provide observations and views of certain Credit Suisse personnel, which may be different from, or inconsistent with, the observations and views of Credit Suisse research department analysts, other Credit Suisse personnel, or the proprietary positions of Credit Suisse. Observations and views expressed herein may be changed by Credit Suisse personnel at any time without notice. You should assume that the trading desk makes markets and/or currently maintains positions in any of the securities mentioned above.
Tax Disclaimer: Credit Suisse does not provide any tax advice. Any tax statement herein regarding any US federal tax is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties. Any such statement herein was written to support the marketing or promotion of the transaction(s) or matter(s) to which the statement relates. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, each party (and each of their employees, representatives, or other agents) may disclose to any and all persons, without limitation of any kind, the U.S. tax treatment and U.S. tax structure of any transaction that may described or included within the information contained herein relating to such U.S. tax treatment and U.S. tax structure. For this purpose, the tax treatment of a transaction is the purported or claimed U.S. federal income tax treatment of the transaction, and the tax structure of a transaction is any fact that may be relevant to understanding the purported or claimed U.S. federal income tax treatment of any transaction.
ERISA: You understand that (i) Credit Suisse neither has nor exercises investment discretion with respect to any assets on behalf of any employee benefit plans or individual retirement accounts (collectively, "Plans") that may be involved with the purchase, holding, or redemption of a security, (ii) Credit Suisse is not undertaking to provide impartial investment advice or give advice in a fiduciary capacity on behalf of such Plans within the meaning of the U.S. Department of Labor's final regulation defining "investment advice" for purposes of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended and Section 4975 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, and (iii) the information or communication provided herein or otherwise to the Plans or a fiduciary on behalf of any of the Plans is intended to be, and should be construed as, general information, and it does not and will not take into account your legal, regulatory, tax, business, investment, financial, accounting or other needs or priorities with respect to any Plans.
Salt Financial Disclosure: Copyright © 2021 Salt Financial Indices LLC. Salt Financial Indices LLC is a division of Salt Financial LLC. "Salt Financial" and "TRUBETA", and "TRUVOL" are registered trademarks of Salt Financial Indices LLC. These trademarks together with others have been licensed to Salt Financial LLC and/or third parties, including Credit Suisse. The redistribution, reproduction and/or photocopying of these materials in whole or in part are prohibited without written permission. This document does not constitute an offer of services in jurisdictions where Salt Financial Indices LLC, Salt Financial LLC or their respective affiliates (collectively "Salt Financial Indices") do not have the necessary licenses. All information provided by Salt Financial Indices is impersonal and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group of persons. Salt Financial Indices receives compensation in connection with licensing its indices to third parties. Past performance of an index is not a guarantee of future results.
It is not possible to invest directly in an index. Exposure to an asset class represented by an index is available through investable instruments based on that index. Salt Financial Indices does not sponsor, endorse, sell, promote or manage any investment fund or other investment vehicle that is offered by third parties and that seeks to provide an investment return based on the performance of any index. Salt Financial Indices makes no assurance that investment products based on the indices will accurately track index performance or provide positive investment returns. Salt Financial Indices is not an investment advisor and makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any of the statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or other similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. Salt Financial Indices is not a tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. Inclusion of a security within an index is not a recommendation by Salt Financial Indices to buy, sell, or hold such security, nor is it intended to be investment advice and should not be construed as such.
These materials have been prepared solely for informational purposes based upon information generally available to the public and from sources believed to be reliable. No content contained in these materials (including index data, ratings, credit-related analyses and data, research, valuations, model, software or other application or output therefrom) or any part thereof ("Content") may be modified, reverse engineered, reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of Salt Financial Indices. The Content shall not be used for any unlawful or unauthorized purposes. Salt Financial Indices and its third-party data providers and licensors (collectively, the "Salt Financial Indices LLC Parties") do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or availability of the Content. The Salt Financial Indices LLC Parties are not responsible for any errors or omissions, regardless of the cause, for the results obtained from the use of the Content. THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. THE SALT FINANCIAL INDICES LLC PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, FREEDOM FROM BUGS, SOFTWARE ERRORS OR DEFECTS, THAT THE CONTENT'S FUNCTIONING WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR THAT THE CONTENT WILL OPERATE WITH ANY SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE CONFIGURATION. In no event shall the Salt Financial Indices LLC Parties be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, incidental, exemplary, compensatory, punitive, special or consequential damages, costs, expenses, legal fees, or losses (including, without limitation, lost income or lost profits and opportunity costs) in connection with any use of the Content even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
In addition, Salt Financial Indices provides services to, or relating to, many organizations, including but not limited to issuers of securities, investment advisers, broker-dealers, investment banks, other financial institutions and financial intermediaries, and accordingly may receive fees or other economic benefits from those organizations, including organizations whose securities or services they may recommend, rate, include in model portfolios, evaluate or otherwise address. Salt Financial Indices has established policies and procedures to maintain the confidentiality of certain nonpublic information received in connection with each analytical process it performs in connection with the services it provides.